New Requirements for Boy Scouts Rank and Advancement-2017 click Here
Merit Badge Counselor List
The Colonial District Merit Badge Counselor list is now available online for Unit Leaders. Only Unit Leaders will be given access to the list from the District. In order to access the list and download it, Unit Leaders MUST email the Merit Badge Team and Advancement Chair at Colonial-Advancement@ncacbsa.org first and will be given the password. Of course, Scoutmasters may share with list with other appropriate adults in the troop involved in the advancement process.
Colonial District Merit Badge Counselors List-Click Here
Colonial District Merit Badge Team
If you have any questions regarding Merit Badge Counselor registration or the Merit Badge Program in general, please don’t hesitate to contact:
Ailey Ellis- email@example.com
Merit Badge Counselor Training
The Troop Level Process for Registering Merit Badge Counselors
- To become a merit badge counselor, a volunteer must complete Youth Protection Training (YPT) which can be found on the website http://my.scouting.org. Once complete you will be offered the opportunity to print a completion certificate. Please print it as you must submit this proof of completion with your application to be a merit badge counselor.
- A merit badge counselor is a district position and even if already registered with a pack, troop, or crew you must complete and submit the Boy Scouts of America Adult Application Form 524-501 and the Merit Badge Counselor Information Sheet 34405. The disclosure/authorization page must be completed even if you have done it on a previous application. On the application the block for “Scouting Position” should be merit badge counselor and the code for the position is 42. The signature blocks for the unit committee chairman and chartered organization representative do not have to be signed. Those approvals are for a unit. Do not forget to answer questions 1-6 on the right side of the application. Without answers to these questions, your application cannot be processed.
- Turn in the completed forms to your troop merit badge coordinator who will provide them to the District Merit Badge Dean for approval and council processing.
Counselor Registration Considerations
- There is no fee for registering as a merit badge counselor even if your are only registered with the Boy Scouts of America as a merit badge counselor.
- You must be current with Youth Protection Training (YPT) to work with scouts and this training must be completed every two (2) years. So long as your YPT is current at rechartering time at the end of the calendar year, you will be carried forward into the new year as a registered counselor. Should your YPT not be current at that point, you will be dropped from the counselor list and must reapply.
- Several merit badges involve activities for which the Boy Scouts have implemented strategies to improve safety, improve the Scouts’ experience, and manage risk. These activities often require supervision with specialized qualifications and certifications. Merit Badge counselors who do not meet the specific requirements may use the services of others who do. See the Guide to Advancement paragraph 126.96.36.199 for these merit badges and their requirements.
- Consider not limiting yourself to only those scouts in your troop. Many of the less popular merit badges may not have a counselor in their troop and you could help scouts pursue an interest in an area with which you have some expertise.
Useful References for the Merit Badge Counselor
- Merit Badge Counselor Compass Fall 2015
- Guide to Advancement, Section 7, The Merit Badge Program
- BSA Guide for Merit Badge Counselors
- Merit Badge Counselor Orientation, Supplemental Adult Leader Training
- The Essentials Of Merit Badge Counseling
- The Essentials Of Merit Badge Counseling Presenters Notes
- Boy Scouts of America Website for Merit Badge Counselors
- CD MBC Flyer Mar 16-1