STEM at NCAC
Today’s youth need STEM literacy to survive in the future, and STEM in Scouting offers the unique opportunity to experience science, technology, engineering and mathematics in tandem with character development, leadership training, and ethical decision-making. The NCAC STEM Committee cultivates programs to promote STEM among Cub Scouts, Webelos, Scouts BSA, Venturers, Explorers and STEM Scouts.
- July 17, Inventing Merit Badge: USPTO will hold an Inventing Merit Badge class and showcase! Capacity is limited, please sign up here.
For all ages:
- July 12, Forensic STEM Speaker Series: Ms. Delpizzo is back by popular demand to show you her interactive dioramas! Get the ZOOM link.
- July 13, DC STEM Trek launches at noon! The GTroop that designed the Trek will unveil the Trek (24 stops) with you all!
- July 14, STEM Speaker Series with the UPSTO Meet a few members of the USPTO team, enjoy a virtual tour and learn about their careers! Get the ZOOM link.
- July 15, US Naval Research Lab Challenge: Research physicist Wilcoski will teach you about LECtenna, teach you to build a prototype at home, and how to earn the patch! Get the ZOOM link.
- August 18, Invention-Con, meet the TIME Kid of the Year (a STEM Scout!). Registration forthcoming.
STEM Scouts is a tactile activity program designed to bring STEM to life for girls and boys so that they can develop an interest in these areas and can see the possibilities for future careers. This program was originally designed by scientists at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Knoxville, TN, then piloted by BSA around the country before becoming an official program in 2019.
STEM Scouts meet in groups called “Labs”; Junior Labs for grades 3-5 and Technology Labs for grades 6-8. BSA’s curriculum specialists design activity kits and curriculum for 20 meetings (grouped into 5 modules).
- Pandemic friendly: To adapt for covid-19 and the rising need for hands-on engagement, STEM Scouts adapted its program to be offered VIRTUALLY while still providing hands-on activities!
- Each module in STEM Scouts comes with 4 meetings of activities (curriculum and supplies included!)
- View last year’s module overviews.
- August 4: Learn about STEM Scouts at our Season 7 kick-off!
- TIME Kid of the Year is a STEM Scout
- Read about STEM Scouts in the voice of a Lab Manager.
National BSA designed these awards to encourage scouts to explore STEM. To view the requirements and learn more, visit the National BSA STEM page.
- STEM@Home classes for youth: During the pandemic NCAC launched STEM@Home for scouts to work on Nova Awards from the comforts of their own home! .
- Trainings for adult leaders: Several STEM trainings were held for leaders in the College of General Studies at University of Scouting and previously at Pow Wow. When the next trainings are scheduled, we will let you know!
During the pandemic, NCAC launched a STEM Speaker Series, bringing several STEM professionals to talk to scouts! We hosted a nuclear scientist, medical physicist, veterinarian, statistician, USCG pilot, electrical engineer and more – you can rewatch the talks here.
- Watch the recording featuring Astronaut Charlie Duke in a conversation with STEM Scouts
- Astronaut Duke is one of two Eagle Scouts to ever land on the moon!
- Read Astronaut Duke’s NASA bio
- Did you know that a Scout named the Perseverance Rover?
Bookmark This Page
Be sure to check this page frequently for new announcements and programs. We have many more programs in the works to bring your STEM exploration to life!