STEM at NCAC
Today’s youth need STEM literacy to survive in the future, and STEM in Scouting offers the unique opportunity to experience science, technology, engineering and mathematics in tandem with character development, leadership training, and ethical decision-making. The NCAC STEM Committee cultivates programs to promote STEM among Cub Scouts, Webelos, Scouts BSA, Venturers, Explorers and STEM Scouts.
Designed by scientists from Oak Ridge National Laboratory in collaboration with BSA, STEM Scouts is a tactile program that brings STEM to life for girls and boys in grades 3-8. Annually we release 20 activities, clustered into 5 themes or modules.
Fall 2023 – SBSA and friends
- Welding & Electronics Merit Badges | November 11
Fall 2023 & ongoing – ages 14 & up
- Innovation Academy (welding-robotics) | Dec 4 INFO SESSION
Spring 2024 – SBSA and friends
At your own pace:
- DC STEM Trek | anytime, at your own pace!
- Schedule a Nova Swing! Tour or work on the Dr. Townes Supernova at Michael’s Woodshop
- Enhance your own projects with use of the CNC machine!
Last, but not least, stay tuned for STEM events coming in 2023 at the STEM Shack at Camp Snyder in Haymarket, VA!
Advisors from Explorer Post 1882 have been working hard at Sally’s STEM Shack to create a space for youth to attend workshops! Explorer Mihai developed 3D printed and CNC milled awards too!
In neighboring Michael’s Woodshop, Mr. Dave developed workshops for STEM Scouts to build blastcars (akin to pinewood derby + a CO2 cannister)!
The Trek includes 24 stops; each has a question for you to answer (a cub scout level question, a Scout BSA level question and an on-site question). There is an ‘abbreviated’ trek highlighted in the guide for those who prefer that.
National BSA designed these awards to encourage scouts to explore STEM. To view the requirements and learn more, visit the National BSA STEM page.
- STEM@Home classes for youth: During the pandemic NCAC launched STEM@Home for scouts to work on Nova Awards from the comforts of their own home!
- Trainings for adult leaders: Several STEM trainings were held for leaders in the College of General Studies at University of Scouting and previously at Pow Wow. The next trainings will be on Feb 25, 2023 at UOS!
During the pandemic, NCAC launched a STEM Speaker Series, bringing inspiring STEM professionals to talk to scouts! We hosted a nuclear scientist, medical physicist, veterinarian, statistician, USCG pilot, electrical engineer and more – you can rewatch the talks here.
- Watch the recording featuring Astronaut Dan Tani, who along with Astronaut Whitson completed the 100th spacewalk! Tani graduated from MIT and worked in space tech companies before joining NASA, where he went on 3 shuttles in a couple spaceflight missions. In one of his spacewalks. he wrapped thermal blankets around the ISS’ solar array gimbals.
- Watch the recording featuring Time Kid of the Year Gitajali Rao and Scout Inventors from the USPTO MB cohort
- Gitanjali is a STEM Scout from Denver, CO and was named ’30 under 30 in science’ by Forbes
- Watch the recording featuring Astronaut Charlie Duke in a conversation with STEM Scout
- Astronaut Duke is one of two Eagle Scouts to ever land on the moon!
Bookmark This Page
Be sure to check this page frequently for new announcements and programs. We have many more programs in the works to bring your STEM exploration to life!