STEM at NCAC
Today’s youth need STEM literacy to survive in the future, and STEM in Scouting offers the unique opportunity to experience science, technology, engineering and mathematics in tandem with character development, leadership training, and ethical decision-making. The NCAC STEM Committee cultivates programs to promote STEM among Cub Scouts, Webelos, Scouts BSA, Venturers, Explorers and STEM Scouts.
STEM Scouts is a tactile program designed to bring STEM to life for girls and boys in grades 3-8. Each year we release 5 modules for elementary school youth, and 5 modules for middle school youth, each with 4 weeks of curriculum.
- Curriculum: Get a glimpse of the 2022 kits in this Module Overview
- Pandemic friendly: Kits are packaged for individual youth – everyone receives their own kit with all supplies needed.
- Youth can join a Lab or participate independently from home.
- Info Sessions: tune in online on Jan 18 or Jan 23 or Jan 31 & ask questions
- Blogposts: TIME Kid of the Year is a STEM Scout
Cub Scouts Chess Tournament: February 5, 2022 at the Marriott Scout Service Center in Bethesda, MD. Register here.
- SBSA Chess Tournament: February 12, 2022 at the Marriott Scout Service Center in Bethesda, MD. Register here.
- Welding & Composite Materials: Merit badge classes will be held on April 23 and May 21, 2022 at Building Momentum in Alexandria, VA. They have an incredible workshop and crafted these classes just for our scouts! Register here
- STEM Expo & Pinewood Derby Championship: Race your car in a Council Pinewood Derby Championship race and explore a wide-range of STEM stations at Camp Snyder on June 18, 2022. Registration opening in February.
National BSA designed these awards to encourage scouts to explore STEM. To view the requirements and learn more, visit the National BSA STEM page.
- STEM@Home classes for youth: During the pandemic NCAC launched STEM@Home for scouts to work on Nova Awards from the comforts of their own home! .
- Trainings for adult leaders: Several STEM trainings were held for leaders in the College of General Studies at University of Scouting and previously at Pow Wow. When the next trainings are scheduled, we will let you know!
During the pandemic, NCAC launched a STEM Speaker Series, bringing inspiring STEM professionals to talk to scouts! We hosted a nuclear scientist, medical physicist, veterinarian, statistician, USCG pilot, electrical engineer and more – you can rewatch the talks here.
- Watch the recording featuring Astronaut Dan Tani, who along with Astronaut Whitson completed the 100th spacewalk! Tani graduated from MIT and worked in space tech companies before joining NASA, where he went on 3 shuttles in a couple spaceflight missions. In one of his spacewalks. he wrapped thermal blankets around the ISS’ solar array gimbals.
- Watch the recording featuring Time Kid of the Year Gitajali Rao and Scout Inventors from the USPTO MB cohort
- Gitanjali is a STEM Scout from Denver, CO and was named ’30 under 30 in science’ by Forbes
- Watch the recording featuring Astronaut Charlie Duke in a conversation with STEM Scout
- Astronaut Duke is one of two Eagle Scouts to ever land on the moon!
Bookmark This Page
Be sure to check this page frequently for new announcements and programs. We have many more programs in the works to bring your STEM exploration to life!