STEM at NCAC
Today’s youth need STEM literacy to survive in the future, and STEM in Scouting offers the unique opportunity to experience science, technology, engineering and mathematics in tandem with character development, leadership training, and ethical decision-making. The NCAC STEM Committee cultivates programs to promote STEM among Cub Scouts, Webelos, Scouts BSA, Venturers, Explorers and STEM Scouts.
STEM Scouts is a tactile program designed to bring STEM to life for girls and boys in grades 3-5. that they can develop an interest in these areas and can see the possibilities for future careers.
This program was originally designed by scientists at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Knoxville, TN, then piloted by BSA around the country before becoming an official program in 2019. STEM Scouts meet in groups called “Labs”. BSA’s curriculum specialists design activity kits and curriculum for 20 meetings (grouped into 5 modules).
- Pandemic friendly: Youth receive individual kits with all activity materials.
- Each module in STEM Scouts comes with 4 meetings of activities (curriculum and supplies included!)
- View last year’s module overviews.
- Join an online Info Session
- TIME Kid of the Year is a STEM Scout
- Read about STEM Scouts in the voice of a Lab Manager.
National BSA designed these awards to encourage scouts to explore STEM. To view the requirements and learn more, visit the National BSA STEM page.
- STEM@Home classes for youth: During the pandemic NCAC launched STEM@Home for scouts to work on Nova Awards from the comforts of their own home! .
- Trainings for adult leaders: Several STEM trainings were held for leaders in the College of General Studies at University of Scouting and previously at Pow Wow. When the next trainings are scheduled, we will let you know!
During the pandemic, NCAC launched a STEM Speaker Series, bringing inspiring STEM professionals to talk to scouts! We hosted a nuclear scientist, medical physicist, veterinarian, statistician, USCG pilot, electrical engineer and more – you can rewatch the talks here.
- Watch the recording featuring Time Kid of the Year Gitajali Rao and Scout Inventors from the USPTO MB cohort
- Gitanjali is a STEM Scout from Denver, CO and was named ’30 under 30 in science’ by Forbes
- Watch the recording featuring Astronaut Charlie Duke in a conversation with STEM Scout
- Astronaut Duke is one of two Eagle Scouts to ever land on the moon!
Bookmark This Page
Be sure to check this page frequently for new announcements and programs. We have many more programs in the works to bring your STEM exploration to life!