James E. West Hike
This 5.4 mile hike takes most units 4 to 5 hours to complete and the route takes you from the small park near the south side of the Air & Space Museum and ends at the National Museum of the American Indian.
The hike patches will be available for purchase after being successfully earned by completing 85% or more of the activities associated with the hike. You will have the opportunity to redo activities if needed, in order to qualify you for your patch.
Our NEW Online Store is up and running! When you complete the HOST hikes, you can purchase the participation patches online or at the Marriott Scout Service Center at 9190 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20814.
Where does it start?
The James E. West / OA 100th Centennial Hike starts at the south side of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and challenges lead you to additional stops.
Where does it end?
All endpoints are near Metro Center Metro station and also only a short walk to Gallery Place China Town station and Archives Navy Memorial stations for easy access to every color Metro line.
What to bring on the hike?
Each hiker (including adults) should have:
- Two pencils or pens
- A camera (each hiker must be able to take 6 photos individually, sharing is okay, cell phones with cameras are fine)
- Full Uniform (if you have one)
- 4 foot string or rope
- One empty plastic bag (supermarket type)
- Appropriate weather gear and water bottle
- Curiosity and sense of adventure
You’ll need at least one of these for the whole group:
- One crisp $1 bill (for one of the clues – you keep it)
- Small magnifying glass
- Binoculars (recommended)