Summit Bechtel Reserve Overview by High Adventure Committee
The Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base at Summit Bechtel Reserve in Mount Hope, West Virginia is home of the National Jamboree and some of the best High Adventure activities Scouting has to offer.
Open to registered Scouts who are at least 13 years old by September 1, 2018, Venturers and their registered leaders, the Paul R. Christen High Adventure Base within Summit offers 11 different seven-day programs between June and August each summer.
- An introductory program provides a taste of all components of the Adventure Zone.
- Six programs allow Scouts and Venturers to concentrate on developing skills in one area, with some time allowed for elective choices.
- Four programs provide Scouts who meet age and physical prerequisites the opportunity to develop advanced skills in a single skill area.
High adventure activities that challenge the hardiest Scouts and Venturers
The high adventure activities available at Summit include:
- World class zip lines
- Canopy tours
- Skate parks
- BMX tracks and mountain bike trails
- Shooting ranges
- Kayaking and whitewater rafting
Summit accepts both unit-based and provisional crews, as well as provisional individual registrations. Minimum and maximum crew size varies, depending on the program chosen. Additional options within crew registration allow great flexibility for individual program selection and electives.
Summit provides tents, cots and all program equipment for your trek. Breakfast and dinner are served in the Summit dining hall. Shelf-stable lunches are issued to participants for their daily programs.
Base program costs range from $779 to $939, depending on the program. Travel is not included. A $100 deposit is required per person at the time of registration.
You are required to register for Summit programs directly. Due to the registration flexibility, openings and offerings Summit provides, our Council will not be sponsoring a Summit contingent for 2017.
2018 Summit Programs
- SUMMIT EXPERIENCE—broad interest for those that want to try everything
- NEW RIVER TREK—rafting and kayaking
- HELMETS & HARNESSES—climbing, canopy, challenge courses
- THE MARKSMAN—archery, shooting
- MOUNTAIN BIKE TREK—50+ miles of backpacking style travel on bikes
- BERMS & BARS—BMX riding and skill development
- RAMPS & RAILS—skateboarding skill development
View the 2018 brochure.
Summit also offers an Order of the Arrow Trail Crew option at $250 for OA members who wish to do trail work for four days and then enjoy a four-day Summit Experience.