If you have not already done so, please submit your Awardees for the Seneca District Outstanding Unit Scouter Award – “SOUSA”. The cutoff date is May 4, 2018 (this Friday.)
The Seneca District Outstanding Unit Scouter Award – “SOUSA” is a unit level award that gives recognition to registered adult Scouters for their significant contributions to their respective units during the 2017 calendar year. It is a District award presented on behalf of units in the same way that the District Award of Merit is a council award presented by the District, and the Silver Beaver Award is a national award presented by the council.
Who is Eligible?
· Scouters (adult leaders, uniformed or otherwise) registered at the unit level in troops, packs, ships, venture, or varsity units.
· Units are limited to two recipients per year for this award. PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BOTH AWARDS!
Who is Not Eligible?
· Recipients of this award or equivalent the past two (2) years. Equivalent awards include the Bowline, Spark Plug, or Pinnacle Awards, or other former District unit Scouter award.
How are Recipients Selected and Who Selects Them?
· Recipients are selected and designated by their units based on their significant contributions to the unit within the calendar year Jan 1, 2017 through Dec 31, 2017. The definition of “significant” is entirely at the discretion of the unit leader or unit committee chair submitting the award.
· The Seneca District Adult Recognition Committee accepts, without review, Awardees that comply with the eligibility criteria above.
How do Units Submit Awardees?
· Units (usually the unit leader or committee chairman) submit the names of their Awardees by email.
· Send to Tom Kennedy (firstname.lastname@example.org) NO LATER THAN May 4, 2018. Please put [SOUSA] in the subject line of your e-mail so we don’t miss it! Please don’t wait till the last minute‼ May 4 is a hard stop.
· Please include a detailed and specific “Statement of Outstanding Service” (a paragraph of 3-5 Sentences (50 to 100 words) describing the Awardee’s contribution that the award is based upon. (Paragraphs will be posted on the Seneca District website recognizing Outstanding Unit Scouter Award recipients and read verbatim at the Seneca District Adult Court of Honor & Dinner, scheduled for May 22, 2018 at the Rockville Elks Club Lodge, 5 Taft Court, Rockville, MD. Contact information for both the nominator AND the awardee’s (name, position, unit, email and phone number) should be included on the linked form for 2017 SOUSA Awardees(s).
To register for the Seneca District Adult Court of Honor & Dinner, go to the Seneca district website at https://scoutingevent.com/082-16482 The cost for registration is $30.00 per person through May 13. The cost for late registration and walk-ins at the door is $35.00 per person.
When are the awards presented?
· The SOUSA certificate is presented to the recipients at the annual Seneca District Adult Court of Honor & Dinner, scheduled May 22, 2018 at the Rockville Elks Club Lodge, 5 Taft Court, Rockville, MD.
Does Seneca District Contact and Invite the Recipients?
· No. Upon confirmation that your submission has been received (usually within a few days of our receipt) you should inform the recipient and ensure that he or she—along with members of your unit—plan to attend the Seneca District Adult Court of Honor & Dinner, scheduled for May 22, 2018 at the Rockville Elks Club Lodge, 5 Taft Court, Rockville, MD.
Please note that the unit committee should consider paying the cost for the awardee’s dinner at the Seneca District Adult Court of Honor & Dinner.
Please remember to take advantage of TWO awards per unit.
Let’s celebrate the many volunteers within Seneca District who do so much for all of us in our Packs, Troops, Teams, Ships, Posts and Crews and our District where they do so much good work!!!
If you have already replied, thank you.
Yours in Scouting and
Thomas C. Kennedy