Powhatan High Adventure Update
January 26, 2020
Looking for the latest on high adventure, or opportunities to be prepared for your upcoming trek? Check out the announcements below to learn what’s happening in high adventure!
2020 NCAC Florida Sea Base Provisional Opportunity: NCAC is sponsoring two Coral Reef Sailing Expeditions S718 leaving on July 18 and returning on July 25 at an estimated cost of $1950 per person. For provisional youth and adult advisor applications, see https://www.ncacbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/HAC_2020-Sea-Base-Provo-applconduct.pdf and https://www.ncacbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/HAC_2019_Provo_Advisor_2Feb2018_fields.pdf. For more information, see http://www.ncacbsa.org/council-committees/outdoor-adventuring/high-adventure/ or contact Dana Abrahamsen at email@example.com or 703-280-9782.
2021 Northern Tier Unit-Crew Reservations: Registrations can be made through a web-based lottery between 1/7 and 1/13/20. There are also 2020 unit-crew slots available. For more information, see http://www.ntier.org/Reservations.aspx.
2021 Seabase Unit-Crew Reservations: Reservations can be made on-line on a first come first served basis beginning at 9 am on 1/15/20. For details, see http://bsaseabase.org/Resources/Procedures.aspx.
High Adventure Opportunities Vacancies List: The High Adventure Committee hosts a list for crews to post notices looking for scouts and scouters to join a high adventure crew or for individuals looking for a high adventure crew to join. The current list is at https://www.ncacbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/HAC_Vacancies_List_2020.pdf. Updated lists may be available at http://www.ncacbsa.org/council-committees/outdoor-adventuring/high-adventure/. To post a notice, send an e-mail with the details to Rick Gollhofer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wilderness First Aid Vendors List: All high adventure crews must include at least one participant who is trained and certified in Wilderness First Aid, including CPR. Philmont requires two. See https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAAImdWXp6GQxnxnW9WkQGShFmBIzHxM9As for a list of wilderness first aid vendors in the DC Metropolitan area.
High Adventure Program Summaries: For information on current program opportunities, age requirements, and prices at Lenhok’sin High Adventure, Adirondack High Adventure Area, Maine High Adventure Area, Northern Tier High Adventure Bases, Philmont, Florida Sea Base, Summit, and other NCAC high adventure programs, see the 12/8/19 edition of High Adventure Program Summaries available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/15b-gxXAzpz7Kwyw-_HMA1gdubodgOCFvrtMCEoeG-GI/edit?pli=1. Additional information is available at the NCAC High Adventure website at http://www.ncacbsa.org/council-committees/outdoor-adventuring/high-adventure/. Many of these programs provide provisional opportunities for youth and adults unable to participate as a unit-crew. You are welcome to contact Craig Dubishar at email@example.com or 703.850.1751 if you need help finding a program suitable for your situation.
The following are some upcoming events and training opportunities to assist in preparing for high adventure activities:
* 2/6 – NCAC High Adventure Committee Meeting – 7:30 pm – Scout Service Center, Bethesda, MD. Scouters interested in finding out about the committee’s activities are welcome to attend.
* 2/29 – University of Scouting – Hayfield Secondary School, Alexandria, 7630 Telegraph Rd., VA. Numerous high adventure-related courses will be offered and High Adventure Committee members will be on hand to answer questions. For more information, see https://www.ncacbsa.org/training/university-of-scouting/.
* 3/5 – NCAC High Adventure Committee Meeting – 7:30 pm – Scout Service Center, Bethesda, MD. Scouters interested in finding out about the committee’s activities are welcome to attend.
* 3/7 – Northern Tier Training – Truro Anglican Church, Fairfax, VA. For more information, contact Craig Reichow at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-478-0660.
* 3/14 – NCAC High Adventure Outdoor Skills Training – 8:00 am to 5:00 pm – Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church, 1500 N. Glebe Road, Arlington, VA. The training is for adult advisors and youth crew leaders going on NCAC-sponsored HA treks. Adult advisors and crew leaders attending HA bases on their own are also welcome. The training will cover such topics as first aid, backpacking equipment, map and compass, bear safety, stoves, camp set up, cooking, and water purification. There will be breakout sessions for crew leaders and other high adventure bases. For more information, contact Mark Wray at email@example.com or 703-395-6061.
* 3/14 – Colonial District Carpe Adventure Trek – There are 40km (CAT-40) and 20km (HALF-CAT), and 15km (CATNIP) options available. For more information, see https://scoutingevent.com/082-2020CAT or contact Matt O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 3/21 – Chain Bridge District Amos Alonzo Stagg 50 miles in 20 hours challenge hike. There are also 25, 20, and 10-mile options available. Preregistration is required. For more information, see http://troop111.org/activities/alonzo-stagg-5020-hike/.
* 3/22 (Sunday) – High Adventure Committee’s Adult Advisor Shakedown Hike. Meet at the visitor’s parking lot NLT 0800, Catoctin Mountain State Park, Thurmont, MD. RSVP to Tim Atkinson at email@example.com . This hike is mainly for all AA’s participating on a Council level Philmont trek for the summer of 2020 but any Adult Advisor going to Philmont is welcome to join us. Lots of tips, stories and the “Philmont way” will be shared!
* 3/28 (Saturday) – High Adventure Committee’s Adult Advisor Shakedown Hike. Meet at the visitor’s parking lot NLT 0800, Catoctin Mountain State Park, Thurmont, MD. RSVP to Matt O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org and Craig Dubishar at email@example.com. This hike is mainly for all AA’s participating on a Council level Philmont trek for the summer of 2020 but any Adult Advisor going to Philmont is welcome to join us. Lots of tips, stories and the “Philmont way” will be shared!
* 3/28 – Northern Tier Training – Truro Anglican Church, Fairfax, VA. For more information, contact Craig Reichow at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-478-0660.
You may contact me for additional information or questions on any of the above topics at Craig Dubishar, Powhatan District Liaison to the NCAC HAC, email@example.com or text at 703.850.1751.