Camp William B. Snyder Campmaster
Who is a Campmaster?
A Campmaster is an adult Scouter who uses his/her experience, training, and knowledge of the Scouting program to help both Scouts and their adult leaders develop skills in the outdoors. This program is an excellent opportunity for leaders who love the outdoors, and love to work with Scouts of any age.
To be a Campmaster you must:
- Be a registered BSA adult at least 21 years of age or older.
- Be fully trained in both Boy Scout and Venturing Youth Protection as well as Weather and Program Safety, and have a general understanding of the Guide to Safe Scouting
- Be familiar with the property of Camp William B. Snyder
- Have completed a Campmasters’ Orientation, and UTV Training
- Be willing to be “first in – last out” for at least two weekends a year at Camp William B. Snyder in Haymarket, VA
What do Campmasters do?
A Campmaster agrees to be responsible for the checking in and checking out of units for the weekends they agree to be Campmaster. If the unit(s) that are staying at the Camp need help working with the boys in a skill in which the Campmaster is knowledgeable, then aiding the unit is very much encouraged. Otherwise, the Campmaster is on property to be a resource for answering questions or helping make our guests stay more enjoyable at Camp William B. Snyder. Campmasters are not required to camp out or dine with the units staying at camp, but may elect to. While on duty, Campmasters are allowed to utilize our Campmaster’s Cabin, which provides comfortable accomodations for the Campmaster and their family members for the weekend.
What do I need to do to become a Campmaster?
It’s really simple!
- Ensure you’ve completed both Boy Scout (Y01) and Venturing Youth Protection (Y02), and that both are current.
- We also ask that you be current in Weather Hazard training which is available in the Training Center on my.scouting.org.
- For approval to use the camp UTV, we ask that you take UTV training at this link.
- Contact our Lead Campmaster, Rob Hoitt at email@example.com and provide copies of the training certificates outlined above. Once complete, Rob will arrange for you to complete the brief Campmaster’s Orientation, and arrange for you to have access to the Campmaster’s Calendar.