This page is the home for Commissioner Training activities in NCAC. It is overseen by Jon Baake, ACC for Training, and Jeff Schweiger, ACC for Exploring/Webmaster and Commissioner Training Coordinator for Virginia Central Service Area.
Commissioner training courses are held throughout NCAC as well as online. To be considered completely trained all commissioners are expected to complete Commissioner Basic Training (CBT) as well as position specific commissioner training (DC/ADC, RTC/Assistant RTCs).
Online Commissioner Training
Online training is now available online for all commissioner positions at the BSA Learn Center under my.scouting.org. Classroom training is still the NCAC preferred training method. However, for those new commissioners who cannot attend scheduled classroom training, it is recommended that they take the online training as soon as possible.
Here’s the current classroom training schedule:
Unit Commissioner Basic Training (CBT):
- May 18, 2019 – Virginia Central Service Area (Colonial District)
CBT Instructional Materials
The following files provide assistance in delivering NCAC Commissioner Basic Training (CBT).
- 2016 NCAC CBT Slide Deck Version 3.5 (This slide deck was developed by NCAC and contains the material in the new National Council CBT training deck, plus additional material that the NCAC Commissioners Staff has determined should be received by all unit commissioners) (Updated November 2016).
Onboarding of new commissioners
Onboarding of new unit commissioners has now become a formal process with procedures and responsibilities for the District Commissioner and the classroom instructor. A copy of the Unit Commissioner Onboarding Progress record may be found online at Unit Commissioner Onboarding Progress Sheet. It is the responsibility of the District Commissioner to be sure new unit commissioners have been formally onboarded as part of the completion of Unit Commissioner Basic Training. For those receiving basic training online, the Onboarding Progress Record is provided at the site where commissioners take classes. For classroom training, instructors will provide copies of the progress record and explain the process to attendees.
District Commissioner/Assistant District Commissioner Basic Training:
- TBA – District Chair/District Commissioner Seminar, Marriott Scout Service Center, Bethesda, MD
DC/ADC Instructional Materials
- NCAC DC/ADC Slide Deck version 2.7 (January 2017) (This slide deck was developed by NCAC and contains the material in the National Council DC/ADC training deck, plus additional material that the NCAC Commissioners Staff has determined should be received by all District Commissioners/Assistant District Commissioners.)
- District Commissioner/Assistant District Commissioner Onboarding Progress Sheet **New**
Roundtable Commissioner Basic Training:
- Date: TBA
Commissioner Training For New Unit Service:
- Date: TBA
- Slide deck for New Unit Commissioner Training. This training should be taken after completion of Commissioner Basic Training
College of Commissioner Service:
- 2019: March 9, 2019, 8:00AM to 4:30PM. Virginia Central Service Area. Holy Spirit School, 8800 Braddock Road, Annandale, Virginia 22003. Additional information is located here.
Do you have comments or suggestions for the NCAC Commissioner Training Webpage? Contact Webmaster/ACC Jeff Schweiger at firstname.lastname@example.org.