The information below provides a ready guide to information thought to be of immediate use to Commissioners by members of the NCAC Council Commissioner’s Staff.
Four important books guide the service of commissioners and their professional staff advisors in the Boy Scouts of America:
- Council Commissioner Manual
- Administration of Commissioner Service
- Commissioner Fieldbook for Unit Service
- Commissioner Helps for Packs, Troops and Crews
A Basic Kit of Materials
The Commissioner Fieldbook for Unit Service recommends that every unit commissioner should have a loose-leaf notebook containing materials and information that will facilitate service to the unit.
Following is a recommended list of notebook materials
- A list of units served, with a roster of the adults and youth members for each.
- Names and addresses of council and district officers.
- A map of the council and district.
- A calendar of council and district events, including training opportunities.
- Camp information.
- Latest issues of Boys’ Life, Scouting, and the council newsletter.
- Guidelines for Action Planning Meeting
- The Commissioner Fieldbook for Unit Service
- Commissioner Helps for Packs, Troops, and Crews
This fieldbook contains a list of other resources that are available to help units succeed. Commissioners should be thoroughly familiar with these. As they gain experience, they, no doubt, will acquire their own library of these references.
UNIT AND UNIT COMMISSIONER’S ASSESSMENTS (For use with Commissioner Tools)
- Pack Assessment – Unit
- Pack Detailed Assessment Form – Commissioner
- Troop Assessment – Unit
- Troop Detailed Assessment Form – Commissioner
- Crew Assessment – Unit
- Crew Detailed Assessment Form – Commissioner
- Ship Assessment – Unit
- Ship Detailed Assessment Form – Commissioner
- Team Assessment – Unit
- Team Assessment – Commissioner
- Post Assessment – Unit
- Post/Club Detailed Assessment Form – Commissioner
Commissioner Volunteer Duties Cards
Don’t have a copy of your Commissioner Volunteer Duties Card? Download one here.
Boys’ Life Unit Commissioner Program Notebook
The Unit Commissioner Program Notebook, made available by Boys’ Life is available for download:
2017-2018 Boys’ Life Unit Commissioner Program Notebook , No. 331-013 New