— Fall 2018 IOLS/BALOO Pre-Requisites
Please see some important notes related to Colonial’s IOLS and BALOO Trainings scheduled for October 10 (classroom) and November 2 (weekend session). Registration can be found here online.
Hazardous Weather will be required of all new leaders. More information about this new requirement can be found here online.
This frequently asked question document also has information on the new hazardous weather training requirement.
The Hazardous Weather training is not a video, it is a programmed learning product that requires viewer interactive responses to complete it. The application runs about 30-minutes.
Leaders may complete this training requirement as follows:
Log in to my.Scouting.org
— Click on “Menu” in the upper left corner, then “My Dashboard” from the drop down menu
— Click on “Training Center” in the center of the top of the page
— Select “Boy Scouting and Varsity” from the list of available training courses
— At the top of the page is an icon reading “ScoutingU.” Select “Course Catalog” to the right of that graphic
— At the top of the page is a search bar. Enter “Hazardous Weather” in the search bar and click on “enter”
— When you click “enter” two search results will appear and both will read “Hazardous Weather Training.” Select the first option and ensure it reads “Course Added August 2, 2017”
— Complete the course by working through the 10 modules covering different forms of hazardous weather.
— When you complete the course, you will be directed to return to my.scouting to print your certificate.
— To do so, click the “Close Course” button found just above the presentation.
Note that during your training, your session at My.Scouting may have timed out. If that happens, you may have to login again. If so, login using the steps outlined above, and return to the “My Dashboard” page.
— When you arrive at “My Dashboard” select “Completions” in the center of the top of the page.
— There, you should see an option to print your Hazardous Weather Training Certificate in advance of Colonial’s BALOO/IOLS training.
There are two requirements for BALOO participants to complete before they will receive their training credentials. The certificates provided upon completion MUST be presented to the IOLS/BALOO staff in order to receive the BALOO certification — a member of the training team will verify completion and document that in the District BALOO training records.
The first would be to complete the Safety Modules:
Safe Swim Defense
The second would be to complete the Nationally-required on-line modules needed to be certified as BALOO trained. This BALOO Prerequisite Training consists of 8 modules of BALOO Introduction: This module will explain the learning topics covered within the BALOO online modules.
Introduction to Cub Scout Outdoor Program: This course is designed to give new leaders the tools and resources needed to successfully take their pack camping, and give experienced leaders the opportunity to refresh their knowledge of the Cub Scout outdoor program offerings.
- Benefits of the Outdoor Program: By the end of this module you should be able to list the benefits of the Outdoor Program and summarize the purpose of Cub Scouting
- Planning Your Cub Scout Outdoor Event: Planning is important in Cub Scouting. Planning is key in pack meetings, den meetings, tours, hikes and pack overnighters.
- Program Planning for your Event: Program planning is essential to ensure that your Cub Campout is a fun introduction to camping for your Scouts.
- Health and Safety Considerations: Camping is a wonderful opportunity for parents and children to experience the outdoors. But along with this exposure to nature comes increased exposure
- The 12 Elements of the Cub Scout Outdoor Program: The Cub Scout outdoor program offers 12 elements for success. A successful Cub Scout outdoor event will include several of these elements
- BALOO Course Summary: This module summarizes the online modules and provides information on the outdoor “hands-on” skills component.
These requirements can be found here online.
All Scouters who seek to receive IOLS certification to complete four modules identified bellow. The certificates provided upon completion MUST be presented to the IOLS/BALOO staff in order to receive the IOLS certification — a member of The training team will verify completion and document that in the District IOLS training records. These Safety Modules are:
Safe Swim Defense
Questions may be directed to Dominick Caridi.