PROGRAM DIRECTOR – CAMP WILLIAM B. SNYDER, HAYMARKET VIRGINIA-PART-TIME, SEASONAL
The position is an excellent career development opportunity for a sharp, ambitious individual eager to pursue a career in program planning and design, youth camping, and community outreach. Duties will range from planning year-round program, recruiting and hiring seasonal staff, and managing year-round activities. Qualified candidates should be highly organized; have exceptional attention to detail; have a proven ability to meet deadlines; have a positive, customer-focused, high-energy attitude; be a self-starter; be able to manage multiple tasks; be able to proactively and independently solve problems; have outstanding interpersonal skills as well as written and verbal communication skills; and possess the ability and tact to handle confidential information. Experience in a recreational capacity and working with county agencies a plus. This position reports to the CEO through the Director of Camping Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as an essential resource and point of contact for the Camping & Program departments for internal/external stakeholders, developing and maintaining relationships to support the organization’s agenda while using a high degree of judgment and independent decision-making in responding to requests or in making recommendations to leadership.
- Provide pre-event and onsite support for roughly seven seasonal events, including logistics. Support follow-up efforts for meetings/events.
- Manage the part-time, summer staff on site at Camp William B. Snyder
- Prepare routine correspondence/communications for Camp William B. Snyder, while editing and proofreading all materials before presenting them for dissemination.
- Track and support inventory of the property including program materials, building condition, and the Trading Post.
- Work closely with the Camp Ranger and local governing bodies of the municipality, county, and Commonwealth of Virginia to assure compliance and timeliness on all licenses, permits, etc.
Key Attributes, Skills, and Competencies
- Trustworthy: Candidate must possess high integrity, value honesty and be the type of person on whom others can depend.
- Loyal: He/she must think of the organization’s needs – the needs of its members, volunteers and supporters – first and foremost.
- Helpful/Friendly: Candidate must possess a team spirit, approach all interactions with a win-win perspective and be customer-service oriented at all times
- Courteous/Kind: Candidate must feel comfortable representing the organization and its leadership as he/she will regularly interact with high-level executives from local and national organizations, volunteers and community stakeholders.
- Obedient: Candidate must have the discipline to fulfill commitments to fellow staff, members, volunteers, donors and other stakeholders… and be accountable for their interactions in a collaborative work environment.
- Cheerful: Candidate must possess a positive, high-energy, can-do attitude.
- Thrifty: Candidate must understand the nature of development and feel the weight of the trust that a donor/stakeholder places in the organization to safeguard his/her investment.
- Brave: Candidate must be comfortable with a variety of research techniques necessary to complete assignments, seeking out and piecing together fragments of information, recognizing patterns and drawing conclusions based on sometimes incomplete information to enable appropriate action to be taken to meet the organization’s objectives/needs.
- Clean: Individual will prepare a wide variety of materials for internal and external audiences, and such communications must be clear, concise, compelling , and error free!
- Reverent: Candidate must feel comfortable with a program designed to promote youth and adult reverence.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life-work experience in outdoor recreational management and volunteer relations required
- Proficiency in program planning and design (mostly geared towards youth ages 7-10) required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (specifically Outlook, Word, Access, Excel, PPT) required
- Experience working with volunteers, senior leadership and high level executives preferred
- Experience with volunteering/volunteer organizations preferred
- Experience working with youth in an outdoor setting preferred
- Well organized, detail oriented and highly professional
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with passionate and committed people
- Excellent analytic skills with a proven commitment to accuracy and timeliness
- Must be able to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately
- Must possess a focus on continuous improvement of both the program and the property
- Flexible schedule occasionally required for evening/weekend events
- Must be willing to live on site during summer camping season (June – August)
- Must be available to attend National Camp School (BSA) to become certified for position
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to move about the camp throughout the day, some travel will include rough trails and unpaved areas
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to communicate with members, staff and others in person, via telephone and e-mail
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all seasons if required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- This is a part time, seasonal job from the months of June-August, with a stipend for roughly seven weekend events during the other months of the year.
- Majority of time will be spent on site at Camp William B. Snyder in Haymarket, Virginia
- This is a not a continually climate-controlled environment, some buildings are air conditioned but most work will occur outdoors and in a non-climate controlled situation
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Absolutely NO phone calls will be accepted. LOCAL APPLICANTS ONLY. NO RELOCATION AVAILABLE. Please mail cover letter, resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes received without a cover letter will not be reviewed.