Intertroop “Climbaree” Campout Saturday, 10/6/18 – Sunday, 10/7/18 at Elizabeth Furnace Rec Area’s Buzzard’s Rock
August 10, 2018
Join Troop 1076 and Interested Troops in the NCAC for a weekend filled with climbing, cooking and camping. The campout will bring together Scouts and Scouters from around the area to share their passions and develop friendships around their love of the outdoors. Experienced climbers and belayers and novices alike are welcome. See key points and links to the detailed logistics memo below!
- Inter-Troop Camping and Climbing Weekend with Climbing Instructors and NCAC Trainers onsite to support climbing and training activities
- Interested Adult volunteers are encouraged to RSVP for Climbing Instructor Training
- 2018 Climbing Instructor Training Registration and Assessment Record
- Limited climbing equipment onsite to support interested participants, RSVP or contact the NCAC Climbing Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
- RSVP Statement of Interest https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1T-aTN0qHGFROKz1Wo3IvESKo9GmYQDjbmYxT2tvhnn0/viewform?edit_requested=false
- Patrols / Troops to coordinate LNT, campsites etc. in Inter-troop PLC
- Intertroop Activities to include Saturday campfire, Climbing games and competitions, Camping, Orienteering, Hiking, and Other Activities
- 1+ Mile Hike to Campsite from closest parking, all participants encouraged to carpool and drop hikers at trailhead and move cars to Elizabeth Furnace Parking
- GPS coordinates for the trailhead parking lot are 38.93773, -78.28855
What to Plan For Climbing
- Complete an RSVP Statement of Interest
- Or a Signed Printed / Scanned ACTIVITY CONSENT FORM AND APPROVAL BY PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIAN and NCAC Climbing Waiver
- Present for Review Annual Health and Medical Record
- Interested Instructors Complete a 2018 Climbing Instructor Training Registration and Assessment Record
What to Expect
Experienced climbing instructors and other Troop Leaders are excited gather with Scouts to climb, hike, camp and prepare meals as patrols together while camping at the George Washington Forest Elizabeth Furnace Buzzards Rock area. There will be abundant time for Scouts to work on climbing as well as other merit badges and rank requirements. Parking is limited near the trailhead and everyone is encouraged to carpool and avoid parking at trailhead. Many Unit Leaders and Scouts may arrive on Friday, October 5 and depart Monday October 8 taking advantage of a holiday weekend but core Inter-Troop Activities are planned for Saturday, October 7. While not a sponsored Council activity, interested troops will be trialing this event as an annual climbing focused camporee.
The site has great vistas at the top of the ridge with abundant opportunities for 5, 10 and 15 mile hiking loops. Limited topographical maps will be available and Scouts seeking to satisfy rank, orienteering/camping/backpacking merit badge requirements should contact their Troop leadership to lead map and compass on the hikes. All Scouts who have not completed Climbing Merit Badge will have opportunities to complete their requirements and should contact a supporting Scoutmaster.