Scout Me In!
Starting today packs that wish to run a Family Scouting program can activate their BeAScout.org pins and begin registering female members!
Here’s what to do:
- Step 1: Log in to your My.Scouting & select Menu at the top left
- Step 2: From the drop down menu, select your unit
- Step 3: Select Organization Manager
- Step 4: Select the Settings tab
- Step 5: Scroll to Family Scouting
What happens next depends on the type of pack your organization wants:
- Boys only: If you are a boy-only pack, you don’t need to do anything else.
- Boy dens & girl dens: Select family pack and date; select commit.
- Girls only: Select girl pack and date; select commit.
Be sure your new dens meet the new leadership requirements:
Two registered adult leaders 21 years of age or over are required at all Scouting activities, including meetings. There must be a registered female adult leader over 21 in every unit serving females. A registered female adult leader over 21 must be present for any activity involving female youth. Notwithstanding the minimum leader requirements, age- and program-appropriate supervision must always be provided.
This is very important as one of Scouting’s key methods has always been interaction with positive adult role models. The majority of Scout leaders are still male – even in Cub Scouts – so most pack’s won’t have any trouble creating opportunities for boys to work with male role models. This new policy will ensure that female Cub Scouts get the same opportunity to interact with female role models.
So what comes after that? Invite all your friends to join, take lots of great pictures, and have fun!
See you ’round the campfire!