US Virgin Islands & Hurricane Relief Update
September 18, 2017
The devastation of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma have impacted countless lives throughout Texas, Florida, and the US Virgin Islands (USVI). The National Capital Area Council of Boy Scouts of America (NCACBSA) has received numerous questions regarding how Scouts and Scouters alike can best provide support for the communities, units, and families affected by these storms. As you may know, Scouts in the USVI are also members of and served by our National Capital Area Council. NCAC is currently focusing our relief efforts on getting Scouting back up and running for our families in St. Croix, St. Thomas, and St. John. In addition to our other ongoing relief initiatives, units, should they choose, can now also donate up to 1% of their popcorn commission toward storm recovery.
We recognize that this is an especially busy time of year for Scouters and Scouts. New programs are starting, school year service projects are ramping up, and of course, Scouts are focused on selling popcorn. And as we all know, Scouts depend upon the sale of popcorn to help fund so many of the good things that they do throughout the rest of the year. The option of donating a small portion of their commission provides them with yet another way to do their best to help other people at all times: their units and communities here, and their fellows in TX, FL, and USVI.
How do you get started?
- Encourage your units to discuss designating a portion of their popcorn commissions for storm relief.
- If you wish to contribute immediately, please continue to make donations through the following organizations:
- American Red Cross:Donate online at redcross.org, call 1-800-RED CROSS or text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- Salvation Army:Donate online at helpsalvationarmy.org; by phone at 1-800-SAL-ARMY; or via mail to: The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 1959, Atlanta GA 30301
- You can also make a donation through the Friends of Scouting portal by clicking here. All gifts designated for use by USVI will be attributed for immediate needs.
- Check ncacbsa.org for new support opportunities. Or get the latest information by following us on Facebook @NCACBSA or on Twitter @NCACBSA #myNCAC.