NCAC INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE
January 21, 2016 (by teleconference)
Members Present: Chuck DAVIDSON (Chair); Bob BOEHME (Patriot); James BOND (At Large); Mike DeLACY (Aquia); Jay EIDSON (Chain Bridge); Don ELLISON (At Large); Ken FENG (Powhatan); Enrique GUTIERREZ (Colonial); James HEDRICK (Old Dominion); Charles HOCHSTEIN (At Large): Allison HOOPES (George Mason); Jüris KELLEY (Powhatan); Peter LAGERBERG (At Large); Jeff LEPAK (Colonial); Kelly PHIPPS (Zekiah); Will RODGER (Colonial); John SCHEIRER (Potomac); Ivonne SENCEBE-REILLY (At Large); Mike SIERRA (At Large); Jimmy SPOO (Occoquan); Phil STERNBERG (Patriot); Hector URANGA (George Mason); Randy YOUNG (Sully); Bob ZUNG (Potomac).
Guests Present: None.
The International Committee:
- WELCOMED new member Charles HOCHSTEIN in an “at large” capacity.
- APPROVED the minutes of its November 2015 meeting without change.
- UPDATED information in its roster of members (attached).
- THANKED Ken FENG for his status report on planning for a fundraising event for the NCAC International Fund, noting that the current concept still was for a springtime reception at an upscale centrally-located low-cost venue on a Friday night involving a short program and considerable fellowship, and noting that search for an appropriate venue was in progress.
- DECIDED that the location for the next International Scouting Day would be Taiwan at its Economic and Cultural Representative Office with desired dates of May 14 (preferred) or May 21, asking Jimmy SPOO to seek agreement on one of those dates with the Taiwanese and continue to work his draft letter and agenda with Peter LAGERBERG.
- DECIDED that the location for a follow-on International Scouting Day in the fall would be Saudi Arabia at its Embassy, based on information developed by James BOND.
- NOTED that planning was proceeding satisfactorily on participation in the April 16 Sakura Matsuri (Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival) ceremonies under the leadership of Stanley KWOK, with planning assistance by Jimmy SPOO, Jay EIDSON, and Ken FENG.
- ASKED Mike SIERRA to supplement district newsletter publicity for this event by posting particulars on the Council website to attract Scout participants.
- HEARD from Bob ZUNG that his International Scouting elective at the February 27 University of Scouting was on track, with assistance by John SCHEIRER in providing display materials.
- BEGAN initial planning for hosting foreign Scouts and Scouters attending the 2017 National Jamboree by discussing the attached general Committee policies already in place for this service, noting that Jay EIDSON, Ivonne SENCEBE-REILLY, and Ken FENG volunteered to assist the overall event coordinator, yet to be named.
- ENDORSED participation by a Council crew or troop in the July 17-24 2016 Icelandic International Jamboree, thanking Jüris KELLEY for his excellent briefing on the event, noting assistance by Ken FENG, Jimmy SPOO, and Mike SIERRA, and ASKED Mike SIERRA to assist in drafting the required letter from Council to Iceland’s National Scouting Organization regarding this participation.
- HEARD a briefing by Jeff LEPAK on the December 27 2016-January 2 2017 JAMCAM Ecuador Interamerican Jamboree, providing information to Jeff on budgeting, signage, and exchange gifts for any NCAC participation, and noting that attendance at this event was typically overseen by National because of the many U.S. Councils that would send contingents.
- ASKED Mike SIERRA to post details of both the Iceland and Ecuador jamborees to the International portion of the Council website.
- THANKED John SCHEIRER and helpers for providing the well-received International Committee display at the November 21 Pow Wow at Annandale High School.
- NOTED that the planned January 9 NCAC International Cultural Expo at Camp Snyder was canceled because of an insufficient number of cultural performers.
- NOTED that registration for the bi-annual International Representative (IR) Conference June 12-18 at Philmont, originally limited to IRs (each Council has only one), had recently been opened to others specifically recommended by IRs who were unable to attend or had previously attended, and ASKED that interested Committee members advise Chuck DAVIDSON by e-mail within the next several days.
- THANKED both James BOND for originally arranging this meeting at an Alexandria Eagles Aerie location, and Jay EIDSON for then providing the teleconferencing set-up when threatening weather necessitated a change.
- CONFIRMED that the date for the Committee’s next meeting is Thursday, March 17th, 7:30 p.m., at the Council Service Center.