National Youth Leadership Training
(Camp William B. Snyder)
14 – 16 January and 18 – 20 February 2017
Course Director: Julia Farr
18 – 23 June 2017
Course Director: Tony LaCava
25 – 30 June 2017
Course Director: Yong Ho Halt
31 July – 5 August 2017 (Sunday Friendly)
Course Director: Kristen Chioma
NYLT Eligibility Requirements
- Attained First Class Rank if in Boy Scouts
- Completed Unit Leader Training
- At least 13 years of age (With the Course Directors approval)
- Youth 12 years of age and younger will not be able to attend
- Home Unit Leader approval
For events with fees under $25.00 per person. There are no refunds for this event and the fees cannot be credited toward another event. This policy is true for any event with fees of $25.00 or less per participant/registrant unless stated otherwise.
For events with fees over $25.00 per person, a full refund may be issued if the registration is cancelled within 3 days of being made. After 3 days of making the registration but not within 14 of the event the customer is charged 15% of the registration cost being cancelled. Once within 14 days of the event the customer is charged 100% of the registration cost being cancelled. A full refund may be made in the case of illness, military orders, or if the event is cancelled by the Council.
What is NYLT?
NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training) is the National Capital Area Council’s presentation of the National Youth Leadership Training. The objective of our NYLT program is to equip our young people with leadership skills to help them succeed in their scouting program and in LIFE. NYLT brings together scouts from all over the Council to learn and practice the leadership techniques in a risk free, scout friendly environment. The Scouts learn and practice leadership skills and styles together.
The course is presented primarily using a Boy Scout model as the vehicle which allows all attendees to SEE how leadership skills fit into the scouting program. These Leadership skills are applicable to all scouting programs.
Why Have NYLT?
While it remains the responsibility of the unit leaders to train the youth leaders, this course is designed to supplement the adult leaders’ role in the training process. NYLT skills build on the fundamental leadership skills presented in the unit basic leadership training in their home unit. This training conference has six specific objectives:·
- To give participants the confidence and knowledge to run their unit.
- To give participants the most contemporary, successful, and useful leadership tools available and allow them to “experiment” with them to help them better relate these skills to their unit responsibilities.
- To give participants the opportunity to share ideas and experiences with Scouts from other scouting programs.
- To create an atmosphere where Scouts will experience Scouting at its best.
- To enhance the relationship between the participant and their adult leaders.· To have fun!
Remember, “Scouting is a game with a purpose.” — Baden-Powell