NCAC Scouts Receive Meritorious Action Awards
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Local Youth Receive National Lifesaving and Meritorious Awards for Selfless Actions
Eight Scouts Honored for Brave, Heroic Deeds That Saved Lives in 2012
Eight boys from National Capital Area Council (NCAC), Boy Scouts of America (BSA) received National Court of Honor Lifesaving and Meritorious Action Awards in 2012 for remaining calm in a crisis, making quick use of Scout training and for living up to the words "to help other people at all times,” which are part of the Scout Oath.
National BSA awards for lifesaving and meritorious action are only bestowed for outstanding acts that demonstrate unusual heroism, skill or bravery and reflect Scouting ideals. For purposes of the awards, "heroism" is defined as conduct exhibiting courage, daring, skill and self-sacrifice. "Skill" is defined as the ability to use one's knowledge effectively in execution or performance, with special attention given to skills earned in Scouting.
"It is my privilege, on behalf of NCAC’s Executive Board, to congratulate and publicly recognize these eight outstanding Scouts for their unselfish acts,” said Scout Executive/CEO Les Baron. "These young men epitomize the lessons we teach in Scouting and embody the Scouting motto: Be Prepared.”
One Scout - Webelos Garrett Heider of Pack 578 chartered to Rocky Run Elementary School in Fredericksburg, VA - received the prestigious Honor Award, Scouting’s highest lifesaving and meritorious action medal, for rescuing a panicked non-swimmer who fell into a lake. The Honor Award is given on a national level for unusual heroism and extraordinary skill or resourcefulness in saving or attempting to save a life at extreme risk to self.
The full list of 2012 NCAC National Court of Honor Lifesaving and Meritorious Action awardees is:
- Griffin Howland - Star Scout, Troop 1539 chartered to American Legion Post 180 (Vienna, VA) Heroism Award: Provided emergency first aid to his golf instructor.
- Michael Parker - Life Scout, Troop 1410 chartered to Holy Cross Academy (Stafford, VA) National Certificate of Merit: Provided emergency first aid to his father.
- Kevin McCormick - Eagle Scout, Troop 55 chartered to St. Francis Episcopal Church (Great Falls, VA) Heroism Award: Pulled an unconscious camper out of a pool.
- Joshua David Willis Life Scout, Crew 1167, chartered to Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Ashburn, VA) Heroism Award: Rescued his brother from river rapids.
- Gerard Allen Souser III - Ordinary Seaman, Ship 1115 chartered to Immanuel Bible Church (Springfield, VA) Medal of Merit: Prevented a boat from sustaining damage during a violent storm.
- Philip Michael Weinheimer - Eagle Scout, Crew 893 chartered to Centreville United Methodist Church (Centreville, VA) Heroism Award: Called 911 and evacuated neighbors from a garage fire.
- Benjamin Barnes - Cub Scout, Pack 142 chartered to St. William of York (Stafford, VA) Heroism Award: Aided a choking victim at a local campground.