Commissioner References and Resources
The information below provides a ready guide to information thought to be of immediate use to Commissioners by members of the NCAC Council Commissioner’s Staff. A much more comprehensive listing of commissioner resources is available in this Commissioner Toolkit provided by Bob Owens.
Four important books guide the service of commissioners and their professional staff advisors in the Boy Scouts of America:
Council Commissioner Manual
Administration of Commissioner Service
Commissioner Fieldbook for Unit Service
Commissioner Helps for Packs, Troops and Crews
A Basic Kit of Materials
The Commissioner Fieldbook for Unit Service recommends that every unit commissioner should have a loose-leaf notebook containing materials and information that will facilitate service to the unit.
Following is a recommended list of notebook materials:
1. A list of units served, with a roster of the adults and youth members for each.
2. Names and addresses of council and district officers.
3. A map of the council and district.
4. A calendar of council and district events, including training opportunities.
5. Camp information.
6. Latest issues of Boys’ Life, Scouting, and the council newsletter.
7. Commissioner Work Sheet (Cub Scout Pack)
8. Commissioner Work Sheet (Boy Scout Troop/Team)
9. Commissioner Work Sheet (Venturing Crew)
9a. Commissioner Work Sheet (Explorer Post)
10. Guidelines for Action Planning Meeting
11. Pack Self-Assessment form
12. Troop/Team Self-Assessment form
13. Crew/Ship Self-Assessment form
14. The Commissioner Fieldbook for Unit Service
15. Commissioner Helps for Packs, Troops, and Crews
This fieldbook contains a list of other resources that are available to help units succeed. Commissioners should be thoroughly familiar with these. As they gain experience, they, no doubt, will acquire their own library of these references.
Commissioner Volunteer Duties Cards
Don’t have a copy of your Commissioner Volunteer Duties Card? Download one here.
Commissioner Award Progress Records
Council and Assistant Council Commissioner (Administration) Progress Record for the Commissioner Key/Arrowhead Honor Award
Council and Assistant Council Commissioner (Field Service) Progress Record for the Commissioner Key/Arrowhead Honor Award
District and Assistant District Commissioner Progress Record for the Commissioner Key/Arrowhead Honor Award
Unit Commissioner Progress Record for the Commissioner Key/Arrowhead Honor Award
Roundtable/Huddle Commissioner Progress Record for the Arrowhead Honor/Commissioner Key
Roundtable/Huddle Staff Progress Record for the Scouter's Training Award
Commissioner Award of Excellence in Unit Service
Roundtable Planning Guides
2014 - 2015 Cub Scout Roundtable Planning Guide(New)
2014 - 2015 Boy Scout Roundtable Planning Guide(New)
Guide to Safe Scouting
Softcopy of the current (July 2014 as of this update) print edition is located here.
Please use the online version for the most up to date information.