- Start Here
- Support NCAC
|Sully District Merit Badge Counselors Information|
|Group HomeGroup PagesDirectory & Features Join Group|
Sully District Merit Badge Counselors
Merit Badge Counselors are registered adult members of the Boy Scouts of America. REGISTRATION AS A MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR IS SEPARATE FROM REGISTRATION FOR OTHER POSITIONS, such as Assistant Scoutmaster or Troop Committee Member. A Merit Badge Counselor must fill out and submit two forms, and must have current Youth Protection Training that is good through the end of the calendar year.
Merit Badge Counselors are registered with the District in addition to any registered positions in a unit that they may hold. For example, a Venturing Crew Committee Member who is also a Merit Badge Counselor will show up on the crew roster as a Committee Member, and will show up on the District roster as a Merit Badge Counselor.
Merit Badge Counselors whose Youth Protection Training expires are dropped from District registration and may not counsel merit badges until they are properly re-registered. Merit Badge Counselors who remain current with Youth Protection Training and wish to continuing serving will be carried over from year to year when the District recharters, without the need to submit new forms.
Unit Advancement Chairs play an important role in maintaining a current Merit Badge Counselor list. Where a current or prospective Merit Badge Counselor is part of a Boy Scout Troop, Varsity Scout Team, or Venturing Crew, the unit Advancement Chair should collect all registration forms for submission to the District, maintain a list of individuals whose applications have been submitted to the District but have not yet been approved, and maintain a current list of all unit members who are currently registered Merit Badge Counselors, the merit badges that each counsels, and the expiration dates of each Merit Badge Counselor's Youth Protection Training. This unit list should be checked at least monthly and Merit Badge Counselors with expiring Youth Protection Training should be notified so that it can be renewed in a timely fashion. Unit Advancement Chairs should be the primary contact with the District Merit Badge Dean, who maintains the current Merit Badge Counselor List.
Forms Required (Fillable PDFs)
Merit Badge Counselor Information & Registration Form - (2013 printing) This form is used to indicate which merit badges the individual would like to counsel, qualifications for each merit badge, and whether he or she will only work with Scouts from a particular unit.
Merit Badge Counselor Adult Application Form - (NCAC 5-2012) This form is the standard BSA adult application form, customized for merit badge counselors.
Certificate of completed Youth Protection Training to be submitted with the two application forms.
1. Prepare the forms. If you are a current Merit Badge Counselor and just want to add merit badges that you counsel, you only need the Merit Badge Counselor Information & Registration Form. If you are a current Merit Badge Counselor and just want to delete merit badges that you counsel, just email your unit leader and Advancment Chair, if you are with a unit, or email the Merit Badge Dean directly if you are not with a unit.
2. Submit the forms. If you are with a unit, provide the form(s) to the unit Advancement Chair, who will add you to the list of pending applications, and submit your form(s) to the District Executive. If you are not with a unit, submit your forms to the District Executive.
3. Wait patiently while the application forms are processed. Sometimes it takes a while for your name to appear on the official roster as a registered Merit Badge Counselor.
4. While you are waiting, get trained as a Merit Badge Counselor. See below.
5. When you have been officially added to the roster, you (and the unit Advancement Chair, if you are with a unit) will be notified.
6. Maintain your Youth Protection Trainiing certification. DO NOT LET IT LAPSE, EVEN FOR A DAY. Always renew your YPT BEFORE it expires.
7. Every year, you will be asked if you want to continue as a Merit Badge Counselor. Please respond promptly! If we do not hear from you, you will be dropped from the roster.
All merit badge counselors should seek training. It is important that they have a full understanding of their responsibilities and also of the recommended practices for quality counseling. The presentation "The Essentials of Merit Badge Counseling” has been designed for this purpose and covers the following topics:
A Scouting overview: mission, aims, and methods
The session can be downloaded and viewed from www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/GuideforMeritBadgeCounselors/Resources/advancement_presentations.aspx.
Another resource is the Guide for Merit Badge Counseling, No. 34532. This resource can be found online at www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/GuideforMeritBadgeCounselors/MBCounselorGuide.aspx .
10/31/2014 » 11/2/2014
Aquia/Bull Run/ Mattaponi/Occoquan/Piedmont 2014 Virginia South Area OA Service Weekend