The White Oak District - Outstanding Unit Scouter Award is a unit level award that gives recognition to registered adult Scouters for their significant contributions to their respective units during the latest calendar year. It is a district award presented on behalf of units in the same way that the District Award of Merit is a council award presented by the district, and the Silver Beaver Award is a national award presented by the council.
The Outstanding Unit Scouter Award’s logo is the bowline knot. Known as the "rescue knot,” the bowline is also acknowledged as the "king of the knots” because of its strength, security, usefulness, and importance.
In the same way a bowline knot is depended upon and used for these qualities, the White Oak District Outstanding Unit Scouter Award gives recognition to unit Scouters who have provided these significant, noteworthy characteristics in service to their respective units.
Who is Eligible?
- Scouters (adult leaders) registered at the unit level in troops, packs, ships, venture, or varsity units.
- Units are entitled to designate two* recipients per year for this award.
Who is Not Eligible?
- Scoutmasters, Cubmasters, Advisors, or Coaches, and Skippers, etc. These individuals are eligible to receive the BSA Unit Leader Award of Merit.
- Recipients of this award or equivalent the past two years. Equivalent awards include the Spark Plug Award, Oak Leaf Cluster, Pinnacle Award or other former district unit Scouter award.
How are Recipients Selected and Who Selects Them?
- Recipients are selected (designated) by their units based on their significant contributions within the unit. The definition of "significant” is entirely at the discretion of the unit.
- The White Oak District Adult Recognition Committee accepts without review submissions that comply with the eligibility criteria above.
How do Units Submit (Designate) Recipients?
- Units (usually the unit leader or committee chairman) submit the names of their designees by email.
- Send to the District Advancement Vice-Chair (Advancement@WhiteOakDistrict.org) no later than midnight on May 15.
- Please put [Bowline] in the subject line of your e-mail so we don’t miss it! We will not be able to process late submissions. Please don’t wait till the last minute?
- Detailed and specific "Statement of Outstanding Service” (a paragraph of 75 to 100 words) describing the designee’s contribution that the award is based upon. (Paragraphs may be posted on the White Oak District website recognizing Outstanding Unit Scouter Award recipients.)
- Registered position in the unit
- Contact information (email and phone number)
- There is no special form and approval signatures are not required.
When are the awards presented?
- The Outstanding Unit Scouter Award certificate and unique patch are presented to the recipients at the annual District Dinner and Awards Ceremony (Fourth Tuesday in May).
Does the Montgomery District Contact and Invite the Recipients?
- No. Upon confirmation that your submission has been accepted (usually within a few days of our receipt) you should inform the recipient and ensure that he or she—along with members of your unit—plans to attend the District Dinner and Awards Ceremony.