This overnight class is required to complete training for Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, and Venture Leaders.
Pre-registration is requested by September 17 (to ensure gate access). Register online on the WSD website
Cost for the class is $30.00. Please provide the following information: Name, BSA ID# (important), district, position, unit type and number, address, phone, and email address. New leaders may not have yet received their BSA id number if their registration is in process but should still plan to attend.
• You must show up prior to 0800 on Saturday, ETD is 1200 but subject to weather events
• Directions: Mattapany Day Camp is located on board NAS Patuxent River. You must enter Gate 1. The guards will have a visitors list. You must show a valid ID (drivers license, etc). You may be asked to show you vehicle registration and proof of insurance. After clearing the gate, proceed straight through three lights (past the firehouse which will be on your left past the third light). Mattapany will be on the right past the parking lots about .5 miles from the firehouse. Any issues please call Jack’s cell, 301-904-6718.
• What to wear: You should show up in your field dress uniform (often mistakenly call a "class a") but wear an activity uniform (scout shirt) underneath. The course will be held rain or shine, so dress for the weather.
• What are we going to do: We will review most of the scouting skills required for first class. We will be camping overnight and enjoying the weekend.
• What to bring: Show up with your medical form and prepared to camp. It is a short walk from the cars to the camping area. Food will be provided but not plates and utensils so please bring your own. You will also need to bring a tent, a sleeping system (ground pad, sleeping bag, etc.), personal hygiene gear, personal first aid kit (required for the course) and a good attitude.
• Optional: Scout Handbook, SM Handbook, nature books, compass, matches, spices, anything you think is appropriate for a Scouting trip.